Friday, June 18, 2021

058: Day 71: June 18, 2021: Glenrock to Casper Wyoming. 25.6 miles today and 2545.6 miles in total.

Today we had a lazy morning in Glenrock. We had only about 25 miles to Casper with the great prospects of spending the weekend with Louise. It is also our son, Daniel's, birthday and we wish him all the best with his day today and the year ahead. May God bless you.
This is part of the entrance foyer of the Higgins Hotel and
this is part of the restaurant room. After a lovely sitdown breakfast we took off.
Glenrock has a short rail trail and we started at the Municipal Park.
There is a lovely bridge across a creek and 
some large pieces of petrified wood, a donation to help beautify the trail.
We soon came to the end of the trail and went back on the road.
We passed the "Rock in the Glen" outside Glenrock, the home of the Herders. I liked the nickname, as it fits in perfectly with the predominant farming activity - herding cattle.
There is an abandoned rail line waiting to be improved into a rail trail running all along the road from Glenrock to Casper. We saw this trestle at the Big Muddy Pond next to the North Platte River.
We also passed this beautiful sign post supporting the "307 First- movement," a movement that aims to keep funds in Wyoming to help strengthen local businesses and the State of Wyoming.
Our flags are still flying high!!!
I was quite upset when we came to the beginning of the Casper Rail Trail outside the Town of Evansville. It was just pebbles and a surface not for our bicycles. At least we saw a pedestrian using the trail.
It would be great if this type of information on surface conditions is included in the Great American Rail Trail web site. This will make planning so much easier.
After a couple of miles we entered Casper and started on the paved portion of the trail at this underpass and junction.
At last I know where I live - this is my face and name on the wall, my truck and my trailer. 🙃🙂🙃🙂
The first part of the paved trail passes through a more industrial part of Casper. It is remarkably smooth and we enjoyed the overall design - full of smaller curves.
Soon we found extra beautification like this Veterans Memorial Park and 
statues. Christine liked this one a lot. It shows a mother reading a book with her two children.
Yours truly was very happy with these park benches.
The trail ended too soon, but we were in good time to go to
the Crazy Pedaler Bike Hub for a tuneup on our two bikes and the trailer. 
Garritt was very helpful and we left the bikes in his care while we went
to the Metro for a lovely coffee. I also had a great snooze on the sofa behind Christine.
We took a short walk as well. Look at this interesting art work and 
it has been a long time since I saw one of these sidecar motorbikes.
Once the bicycles were tuned up and repaired (I had a broken spoke on my rear wheel that I did not even know of), we stopped in the foyer of the Clarion Inn at the Platte River and checked in.
Louise arrived soon after with Sampson and 
all of us were happy. 
Even Sampson enjoyed the bed. 
Time to switch off the lights and rest. The more than 2500 miles had been a long stretch and we have about 1500 left still. 

4 comments:

  1. I think this is my favorite post. You all look so happy and content. Louise now towers over Christine - or Christine may just be snuggling in for an extra long hug. BTW I’m drinking coffee on my front porch, gazing past my weed lawn onto your still perfectly manicured yard and gardens. I always expect one of you to pop out of the back door , lean over the porch, and greet me with an energetic “Hi, Poo-la!” Glad you are creating new happy memories and letting go us be a part of them. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so happy, healthy and just wonderful! In addition to a bikers guide book, you should write a how-to guide for healthy living while retired. I remain in awe as to how you are trekking so many days and miles on bikes with such beautiful smiles on your faces. Congrats on passing the 2500 mile mark. wow! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ons ou maatjies lyk so gelukkig en neem pragtige fotos van wonderlike plekke. Ons beholder julle. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am enjoying you lovely pictures that you take as you ride and your interesting comments. I am impressed with what you are doing. It is so interesting to see towns that you go through and the changing landscape. This trip is enjoyable to watch during these difficult times. Bridget Cameron from Cape Town, South Africa. I am a friend of Renee Fourie

    ReplyDelete