Friday, May 27, 2022

074: 05/26/2022: Haugan to Saltese, Montana: 6.6 miles today (3403 m in total)

Today was going to be a short day. Due to the incoming rain over the area and the snow at higher elevations, I decided to cycle to Saltese and stay in the motel closest to the remote section of the trail accross the Coeur d'Alene Mountains. 

I completeted a princely 6.6 miles by the time I reached Saltese. It took the whole morning, I kept on stopping to drink in nature. 
But first things first. I had a small breakfast at the 50,000 Silver Dollar Restaurant, Haugan. This was the largest pancake I ever saw or had - luckily they call it a hotcake and not a pancake. 
This was the view of the mountains all around Haugan when I eventually set out. The bicycle felt heavier this morning - must be the hotcake. :):):)
The Ride of the Olympian continued with a good surface and I made good time in between stops.
Last night's rain had all the small streams and creeks flowing. This was one of the small cascades before it crossed the trail on its way to the St Regis River. 
A view along the trail. At places it moved quite far away from the I-90 Interstate and all you heard was the sound of the forest and the birds.
This is such a good ride with a very easy grade. And, if you decide to go towards St Regis, it would be downhill all the way. 
And the views never seem to disappoint. You can see the new foliage on the deciduous trees. We must certainly come and do this trail in the Fall, just imagine the colors then.
And my bicycle is still very happy and dependable. I had many parts changed out over the years, better brakes, narrower tires, new gear shifts, but, ultimately, it is still the Fuji 29" mountain bike I purchased about 17 years ago. 
The trail slowly climbed above the valley floor and it was great to get some perspective. You can see the I-90 corridor where the river disappears in the distance, still so far away that you only hear the occasional noisy vehicle. 
Even the railways had to deal with rock falls and now it must be the Forest Service, I presume; given that the trail runs through a National Forest.
Wow and wow again. 
I could not stop taking photos. I do hope that the scenery also excites you. So beautiful.
I realised I arrived at Saltese when I came to this tresle, named after the town. I previously mentioned the Milwaukee Railway line that used electric locomotives. Here you can still see what remains of the posts and beams that carried the catenary.  
The Mangold's Store and Motel is a small family-owned and run business. I found it ideal to spend the afternoon watching the rain come down (and catch up on the missed naps through the years :):):):)). 
The St Regis River flows just behind the Motel, a great place for a bonfire and a sausage barbeque in summer.  
Tomorrow I shall continue with the trail up this valley. I am glad that I could stop in Saltese and not have a wet camp tonight. 
And I started looking at maps and saw some great hiking and driving trips in the mountains around here. 

The more I looked the more I realised that Saltese is an undiscovered gem with incredible tourism opportunities in the mountains around it. It is surrounded by National Forest and this will prevent it from becoming the next Vail or Big Sky. I am wondering.  

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful scenery and photos, Ben. Enjoy every day.

    ReplyDelete