Thursday, May 26, 2022

072: 05/25/2022: Arlee to St Regis MT: 62.5 miles today (3377.6 miles) in total.

Thanks, Arlee Community Center for a lovely night last night. I took this photo after I packed away the bed, etc. Almost ready to go again.

Today was a cool and drizzly kind of day -  certainly Spring. I wore my rainjacket most of the day. I planned for about 40 miles today, but in the end cycled just over 60 miles to St Regis. The damp and the cool air made me think that a hot shower would be ideal. 

Outside Arlee the Jocko River Valley opened up with cattle in the distance. This is a beautiful area within the Flathead Indian Reservation.  
This is the view back towards Arlee. I can certainly live here as well.
Some time ago I read a very interesting story about one of the largest prehistoric floods in the USA. About 12000 years ago an ice dam broke on the Clark Fork River close to the present Sandpoint, Idaho. The lake depth was about 2000 feet at the dam wall and around Missoula the water depth was about 700 feet. All these valleys that I am currently cycling through were under water. I was happ when I cycled past this road cutting. The material clearly is recent lake deposits, tieing in with the bigger geological picture.
I had to stop and wave at this train with an entire load of containers. This is the end of the Jocko River Valley and close to the confluence with the Flathead River.
I cycled through Ravalli, an unincorporated community. The town is not seeing any of the recent economic growth. What I loved, is a sign before entering town announcing the name in both English and Salish, the local Indian Language - with the explanation that this is the place "where we come down to see the waters flow."

I had to take a photo of this farm with the house on the first rise and the pine trees on the hills behind it. This looks so much like the Montana that you read about in the cowboy novels. 
Soon after I cycled through an even more rundown place called Dixon. This is Primary time in the runup to the 2022-elections here. I saw the election sign and the picture came to me of politicians that take places and support for granted. Dixon is in a firmly Republican State and this will not change soon. So, if you get through the Primary as the Republican cadidate, you are assured of your election. 

With such solid support, you would expect some measure of thanking the community.   But, there is absolutely no evidence here that the elected officials have any interest to improve the livelihoods of the inhabitants of Dixon - not even arranging a cleaun-up campaign.
(Note: My write-up should not be seen as criticism against the Republican Party per se. This happens everywhere - candidates come to milk votes never to be seen again. It is just a pity that we still put up with it in this day and age.)
I passed the Jocko River confluence with the Flathead River. This is a view looking north-eastwards over the Flathead Valley with the higher mountains (Glacier???) of Montana in the distance.
What a beautiful river - Flathead River. The road and rail line follows the valley through the mountains in the distance.
I cycled past this repair shop and was wondering whether COVID is also given as the reason for the delayed repair of this tractor. :):):)
Just beautiful.
Christine warned me that the road narrows for a while. I do not like cycling on roads with no shoulders, but I was in luck - there was almost no traffic on this section. I even stopped to take a photo of my bicycle to have a perspective (no vehicles behind me at all).  
The rail lines crosses the Flathead at a couple of places. This is such a beautiful spot.
After about 30 miles in the Flathead Valley, I came to the confluence with the Clark Fork. This is another beautiful River. We met up with it just outside Butte MT last year and cycled in its valley for many miles already. I was looking forward to another beautiful encounter. 
This part of the River runs through the Lolo National Forest and the scenery is just amazing. 
My first planned stop was at the Quinn's Hot Springs at the entrance to the Clark Fork Valley. They were fully booked out and did not even have room for a walk-in swimmer. They require advance reservations for day use as well. :(:(:(

The next stop was a US Forest Service Camp Site, Cascade Camp, close to these small rapids. I decided against camping in the rain and continued on. 
Which bridge is the more beautiful?

Another view of the Clark Fork River with the drizzling continuing all over. Just beautiful.
Close to St Regis, you have this view of the river. I stopped for a snack and stayed longer just to try to ingrain the beauty in my mind. 
Soon thereafter I reached St Regis. There is a new separated cycle path,
among others, a garden decor store, and 
after a hot shower, a wonderful bowl of chille and a huckleberry milkshake. 

A town to certainly revisit :):):)

No comments:

Post a Comment