Tuesday, May 24, 2022

071: Missoula to Arlee MT: 29 miles (3315 m in total)

Christine and I left home at around 7:30 this morning. Lake Coer d'Alene was again at its stunning best and provided us with a splendiforous goodbye. 
Christine will drop me in Missoula today and will take the drive back home this afternoon. I shall begin with the last leg of our cross-country cycle trip there. 
This photo may show happiness, but all kinds of emotions went through us today. I cried when we said goodbye, wanting Christine to be with me all the way. And she went to her bike when she got back home to test out her thumbs. We so enjoyed the trip to here and I trust that we shall still complete the trip together. 
I almost forgot how to pack the bicycle. Since it is still quite cold in the Northwest, we agreed on the trailer so that I could carry the tent and a warm sleeping bag. 
Ready to go!!!
I crossed the Clark Fork River with this pedestrian bridge and got onto the Milwaukee Way, a part of the trail network in Missoula. This Milwaukee trail will be part of the last leg right up to Seattle. It was a very busy rail link between Seattle and Chicago and, interestingly, ran electric trains along large sections of the route.
This must be the Missoula railway station building along the Milwaukee route.
A milepost that will bring many happy memories over the years.
This part of the trail is quite decorated with street art.
The route network runs along both banks of the Clark Fork. As I stopped here, I heard a cry of alarm and 
found the gentleman that did nort want me in his territory. He was quite friendly though and allowed me through. 
A beautiful ball park with a snowy backdrop. The wind was blowing straight from there the entire day - was coolish to cold.
I stopped for a quick chocolate muffin and coffe at the Wheat Montana Bakery (intersection of I-90 and MT93) and left the Clark Fork Valley.
This hill is about two miles long. I started off with a great idea - keep on cycling. I barely started when my cycling legs packed up and went home. I thought this is not such a big issue. I shall use the hille for a workout for the upcoming Camino in Spain. After about a half-mile my Camino legs also decided to leave me. My tired legs took some time to get me to the top. :):):):)
As I crossed into the next valley, I passed this sign for Evaro and saw the snow much closer.
Around the first bend, the mountains became more beautiful.
I am very impressed with the Jocko Valley and, in particular, Arlee town. Several miles outside town I found this beautiful cycle trail and followed it into town.
By now I was quite cold and tired and decided to call it a day after 29 miles - not bad for a first day on the bike again. This is the view from my porch - I am sleeping on the landing of the Arlee Community Center tonight. If there were a hotel here, I would have taken any available room.

1 comment:

  1. Such determination...go Ben, go! What is your anticipated finish date?

    ReplyDelete