Sunday, May 29, 2022

076: 05/28/22: Kelogg to Rose Lake: 20.3 miles today (3472 miles in total)

 Please, everyone, Christine showed me that when you open these posts, you may not be able enlarge them if you want to see more details. I do not know why, but if you open the web-version of the post, you would be able to enlarge all the photos. 

Today was another short day. Last night Christine and I had a quick replan for the day. The weather forecast showed rain starting at 11:00am and ending tomorrow morning. What better plan than cycling until around 11:00am and then go home for the day with a good sleep in our bed??? In addition, add in lunch with Lizl, Steve and the grandchildren. I love changing plans. And what a great day it was.:):):)

Anyway, back to the trip, I did about 22 miles today along the absolutely beautiful Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes. I totally agree with the Rails to Trails organisation, this is a Hall of Famer.
Kelogg has quite a number of small murals and sculptures. I particularly liked the Red Baron. 
It is also the site of the Bunker Hill Mine where a large amount of silver, lead, zinc and associated metals were extracted. This first section makes you aware of the scale of operations and the environmental destruction that took place here. 
This sign post tells of the denuded hills and the massive replanting effort that the miming company sponsored. Another sign mentions that more than 40 million tons of ore-bearing rock was taken out of these hills (and dumped in the valley). The waste was also used to build the embankment of the rail line, constructed to ease access to this part of Idaho. 
The first couple of miles travel past closed-off mine waste dumps that have been covered and sealed with "clean"- rock/material. 
The smelter at Smelterville must have been a large operation, producing so much. 
I loved the drive-by coffee stall at the Smelterville Trailhead. I did not stop for one, as I had Christine waiting for me at Rose Lake Trailhead.
The environmental reinstatement is still ongoing. In the photo above you will notice the wide embankment for the trail. This was done to seal off the contaminated original embankment on the sides. The paved trail surface acts as the barrier on top of the original embankment. I assume the earthworks in the background will eventually cover this entire wetland. It is an elaborate process with a thick layer of rock covered with a synthetic barrier and then soil/dirt dumped and spread over it.
Soon after Smelterville the trail left the original mining footprint and my spirits lifted when I saw the trees and heard the birds.
I also liked the layout of this Trailhead at Pinehurst. It is not often such a design includes a room "with a view."
A wayside among the trees. 
I am adding a couple of pictures here for your enjoyment. Please open the web-version of this post so that you can enlarge the ones you like. :):):)
The Coeur d'Alene River.
Reflections on the river
Flowers at the Cataldo Trailhead.
Wetlands where the water lilies are getting ready to bloom.
Soon after I cycled past this beautiful view of the Coeur d'Alene River, I reached the Rose Lake trailhead where Christine was waiting for much longer than what I estimated. But this was such a beautiful 22 miles. I kept on stopping.
We also met up with Craig and Carol Kjar today. He is breathing Rail-Trails ideas and is also helping on several. He is currently assisting with patrol work on the Mickleson Trail in South Dakota. Carol is a writer and attended a conference in Boise ID. She was supporting him while he cycled the Ride of the Coeur d'Alenes Trail. Craig and I cycled together for a good part of this morning and I sincerely hope that we shall meet again. Safe trailing, Craig.  

No comments:

Post a Comment