Sunday, May 29, 2022

075: 05/28/22: Saltese MT to Kelogg Idaho: 48 miles today, 3451 in total.

Today there were many highlights. I crossed the Lookout Pass, left Montana and entered Idaho, the second last State of the journey. Lookout Pass is also the northernmost point along our planned route and, as the pictures will show, there was still quite a lot of snow to deal with.  
On leaving Saltese I noticed the number of "side-by-sides" at the restaurant. These off-road vehicle have become very popular in the USA. And with all the low-order roads and Forestry tracks around Saltese, you can understand why there are so many here. 
A passing photo of the Saltese Trestle that I crossed yesterday. From Saltese onwards there are two abandoned rail lines that were converted in multi-use trails. The so-called Upper Grade is another name for the Ride of the Olympian. It runs over the Saltese Trestle and ends at the Taft Tunnel, the beginning of the Ride of the Hiawatha, another well-known rail trail. Both are part of the original Milwaukee rail line.
The Lower Grade, shown here with one of the connections, running uphill to the Upper Grade, is another rail line that crosses the mountains at Lookout Pass. This is my planned route. However, with the beauty of the Upper Grade, I decided to again follow this route and to cut back to the Lower Grade further up the mountain.
Today was climbing and climbing and climbing. Luckily, the grade is a rail grade. However, this is a long route and I stopped a lot to catch a breath, take a snack or just watch the beauty all around. 
The trail was almost devoid of people. I think it may be too early in the season for this part of the USA. I did not mind at all, I enjoyed the surroundings even more.
This photo shows the I-90 corridor and the Lower Grade in the valley below. The lack of road noise was again noticeable and I felt good about following the Upper Grade. 
As the trail climbed higher, so the snow became more visible. 
Somewhere higher up in this valley the trail will cross the river on another curved trestle.
No matter where you looked, the trees were beautiful and you heard little streams everywhere.
I was quite sad when I came to this gate, closing the Trail before the trestle. I decided to turn around but still took a walk out onto the trestle.
This is amazing to see the Trail disappear around trees.
The tresle is also closed off at its other end. You can see the tunnel entrance going in the direction of the Hiawatha Trail.
I turned around and, after having a last look up the valley to the tresle, took a connecting path to the Lower Grade. We shall be back. 
And this was just as spectacular. Running along the valley floor for a long time, one has pretty views of the St Regis River.
I passed ths large group of motor homes and caravans. These people are camping here for the Memorial Day weekend, enjoying the trails in the area.
I saw some fresh tire tracks soon after their camping area, but as I climbed higher, these track petered out. These people must have other routes that they use during their stay here.
I enjoyed this part of the trail as it curved up the side of the valley to gain sufficient elevation. The orange line is the I90- alignment. 
The trail now reached the steeper and higher part of the mountain with the St Regis River is a white water river with none of the quieter pools lower down.
This is also where I ran into the first substantial snow. I quickly learned a couple of things; my bicycle is not set up for cycling across soft and melting snow,
pushing a bicycle with trailer over the snow requires effort, lastly, look for opportunites to go around the edges of these snowy sections. 
At least he did not complain. The bicycle is standing on its own in loose snow of an ATV-track while the trailer is happily sliding along. :):):)
It is interesting to see how ice bridges form. The top of the snow looks good to walk on, but the bottom is hollowed out by running water. Several of the streams crossing the road similarly disappeared under the snow just to appear lower down again.  
This was a good section of road with more than enough space to cycle past the remaining snow.:):):)

The struggling kept the mind occupied and I realised the summit was close when I saw this ski-lift. At the top of Lookout Pass there is a popular ski area and this is one of their lifts.
The vistas down these valleys are so beautiful. They make you feel small.
I had to take a selfie. In the background is the I90-summit of Lookout Pass at 4725 feet AMSL. Another interesting fact is that the Interchange is on the State Line, therefore it is designated as "Exit 0."
I was now looking forward to the next about 90 miles of downhill. This is a view northwards with the I90 below.
Little did I realsie that there was pushing ahead on the remaining snow cover. Luckily this was much less than on the climb up the mountain, but, nevertheless, it still required unexpected effort. 
The valley towards Mullan, ID is also beautiful. You can see the I90 curving up/down, depending which way you are travelling, the mountainside. The rail trail, following the abandoned alignment of the Northern Pacific Railroad, runs in the trees above the I90-road.
This rail line was steeper than usual and became known for the steeper grade and  run-away trains. The Trail itself still requires work to remove all the trees that fell during winter.
So beautiful.
I particularly like the Spring colors of the leaves. It makes these vistas so vibrant.
It started raining and I got quite cold. All I was interested in, was a warm coffee in Mullan. I was a bit disappointed when I took a wrong turn and had to do about 4 miles of detour. One good thing, it was all downhill. :):):)
If you are interested in the minng history of Northern Idaho, you will recall that at one stage the area was the world's largest producer of silver and other associated ores. There had been a tremedous amount of pollution and  the Bunker Hill Mining and Metallurgical Superfund site minimsed the further spread of the pollution. The Coeur d'Alene river contains thousands of tons of these pollutants and with every flood some gets spread further downstream. 
The photo is of an operational mine Hecla Mine, Lucky Friday Unit. Very strict environmental permitting nowadays control their operations.
The Ride of the Coeur d'Alenes is the next trail on the journey. It starts in Mullan and ends in Plummer ID. I smiled when I saw the tiget footprints painted on the trail from the school to the sports fields. 
All downhill and paved. Here the trail crosses a river.
The trail runs parallel to the I90. However, the overall design brings good separation. 
Even with only a barrier and a green area.
The trail itself runs through beautiful countryside and 
I stopped on many occasions to take pictures. 
The I90 is elevated and partly cut into the mountainside as it passes the town of Wallace ID. The original ground-level alignment through town was totally rejected by the town. The inhabitants lobbied for other solutions and accepted the revised deign.  
I gravitated to the Center of the Universe, a marker in the middle of one of the intersections in Wallace. 
The river was also diverted past Wallace. Apart from the noise of the overhead traffic, it must be a pleasant place to sit.
Just outside Wallace the trail crosses this quaint rail bridge.
This is a shot of the trail through the town of Osburn ID.
The Gene Day Park, west of Osburn, has this lovely pond. As I stopped, the ducks flew away. 
It may still be too early for flowers, but there was this spread at one of the trailheads. 
The trail is really pleasant and I am certain, would be very popular in summer.
What do you think?
I was coming close the Kelogg ID where I shall have a warm shower tonight. It was quite cold today and the rain did not help.
It's been some time since I saw one of these workman's trolleys. 
I cycled past the Kelogg Visitor Center and
turned to the Trail Motel, my dry bed for tonight. :):):)

No comments:

Post a Comment