Friday, June 10, 2022

085: 06/08/2022: Cedar Falls to Mount Lake Terrace (Seattle): 58.8 miles today, 3892 miles in total: The day of the 45-mile flat tire

I left the camp at Cedar Falls not knowing what to expect of the trails today. When we were planning the trip, I took the same care to plan our trip west of the Cascades Range as for the other sections, but this was so far away that I always thought I would get to it. Well, last night, when I opened the mobile phone, I realised I am here and what now? 

So, I looked a bit and decided, it has been so beautiful all the way up to here, let us just enjoy the last about 150 miles. 
This scene at the Rattlesnake Lake (outside the camp site) was the first one that took my breath away today.
And this is another view over the same lake - early morning with the fog still rising from the forests after last night's rain. 
The Snoqualmie River Trail was the next trail to ride on. And the beauty continued under the trees.
Looking back with the sunshine providing further vibrance to the many colors green. 
Another wow.
Another trestle/bridge on the trail. I also stopped on the bridge because the sound of water running over rocks were so clear. I had difficulty seeing the cascades because of the dense undergrowth. 
After about 4 miles of all downhill cycling the trees opened up a bit so the I could see the mountains on the other side of the vlley. But they were still too dense for any meaningful photos.
I continued to be amazed at the lushness of the vegetation and the privilege we have to enjoy nature like this.
Another bridge over the Snoqualmie coming up!!
And it dawns on you, you are now in the Pacific Northwest. The rivers run differently and the trees on the river banks are different to what we have seen along the trails up to now.
The different greens are so beautiful.
I was passing North Bend and noted how important access to the trail has become. Here you can see a properly engineered access developed as part of a new residential neighborhood behind this berm.
Since I was too slow to get photos of either a rattlesnake and a brown bear earlier, I took a photo of this bunny, who had no cares in the world. I must say, about a quarter mile earlier, I stopped for another bunny. That one was alert and when a black crow flew nearer it disappeared in the brush. So, no photo there as well. 
Between North Bend and Snoqualmie the trail is extremely well utilised. There are the usual cyclists (all types), mothers with babies in strollers, men going for a walk, dog walkers, joggers and, sometimes, people fishing the streams that cross the trail. And the demographics have changed. Over large parts of the country the trail users are mostly white. Today there was a good mix of other races as well.  
The Snoqualmie calmed down a little here.
The next 1000 feet of trail runs through a golf course. I loved the warning that users must stay on the trail. in the distance you can see the tall fences the golf course management erected along the trail to keep the trail users safe. It seems to me that the trail users are more in danger of being hit by golf players than the other way around. :):):)
Another view of the mountains.
This is the rail depot at Snoqualmie. Apparently there is a very popular old train that runs in the Fall, starting from here to the next town.
I saw this very old rotary snow plough along the way. 
I had to go see the Snoqualmie Falls, just outside the town and about a half mile off my planned route. This is the view at the top of the falls. 
And this is the Falls. My breath was taken away again.
The next trail, Snoqualmie Ridge Trail is actually a multi-use path next to the Snoqualmie Parkway.
There were lovely flowers along this trail. I did not stop much other than for catching my breath on this long uphill climb.
Soon after I turned on the Snoqualmie Connector, linking the Ridge Trail with the Whittaker Trail. And this was the view on top of the hill. Wow.
This area also has a golf course along the trail and power lines. This is a look back over the lake at the ninth hole with the trail running just to the right of the pylons in the background. 
The beginning of the Whitaker Trail was not telling anything of what lay ahead. 
I stopped at the top and the land just fell away before me. 
The trail immediately went into the forest and I lost two breaths here. The vegetation and trees are so beautiful and secondly, the trail is really a montain bike trail
with proper switchbacks and 
steep downhills and
good old mud.
I held on and kept enjoying nature. 
After two and a half miles of mostly downhill braking I reached the Snoqualmie-Preston Trail, a beautiful paved trail.

I also felt as if I am exerting myself more for the same speed, but thought that it must be the earlier downhill that tired me out. This "tiredness" persisted the whole day. 

I should have checked my bicycle and the trailer as well, because this is where I think the trailer picked up a flat tire - about 45 miles from my stop tonight. 
I saw this squirrel sitting very pretty on the moss. It enjoyed some rays of sun that cme through the trees. 
The Snoqualmie-Preston trail also has a closed section with a work-around on the paved roads in the area. This was not too bad or long and I was soon back among the trees.
And I soon reached Preston where I had a bowl of fresh greens for an early lunch.
The Preston-Issaqua connector follows smoothly and for a the first part is a trail running through a park-like area. 
For a short while the trail is actually a converted full lane on a road. 
Then it becomes a gravel trail next to the I90. 
Apart from the noise, the trail is a pleasure to cycle on. 
It becomes a paved downhill ride 
and the beauty continues.
At $5.50 per gallon the I90 is still quite busy. No gas for me, sir. I am enjoying the route slowly.:):):)
I reached Issaqua and cycled past this mural next to the train depot.
I was pleased that the Town Council marked a construction detour on the trail so well.
Cycling past the old rail depot.
A couple of blocks from the town center the rial lines end. See the beautiful trail next to the rails.
Just across the street the new trail, the Lake Sammamish Trail started. I honestly think Washington State is doing much to motivate enjoyable exercise. Get on your bike and ride. :):):) 
A subway under a busy street.
My first good view of Lake Sammamish. This is a very popular beach area with a huge parking area. 
The first part of the trail ran through park land but
this quickly gave way to the first and, sometimes second row of houses that were built along the shore. This part of the country has only one house for sale, the very expensive kind.
There is ongoing improvement of the trail system and this part of the trail is upgraded to paved standard. The quality of road signage is of a high standard. 
I had a couple of "safe" spots to stop along the road and was able to see more of the lake. So many houses and all quite expensive.
I joined the trail again at this point.
A little boat club with a small beach area. 
Another view over the Lake.
And another one. You decide, but in my mind this is a beautiful area.
The housing shows, however, that I would anly be able to live here if I win the lottery. :):):)
And this person probably won the lottery. :):):)
I took the Moorcroft Conector Trail to the Sammamish River Trail
I saw these strange-looking birds in the Park. 
The Park is very popular and I counted at least three ongoing picnics and one office team-building event. 
What about a windmill at Lake Sammamish? Did the Dutch also move here when they immigrated to the USA?
A selfie reflection actually taken to show the well-presented trail maps at each intersection. 
I particularly liked the 360 degree turn from under the bridge and over the bridge to this side of the river where the Sammamish River Trail continued for more than 15 miles. 
Here we go. 
In the town of Redmond, I cycled past this play area in front of residential buildings. The link to the trail is well done with picnic areas, etc. 
Many people use this open space along the trail.
And between Redmond and Woodindale, a good 5 miles apart, there are many cyclists, hikers, runners and simply people enjoying the outside. 
It is always great to see a well-utilised trail.
A shady spot. In the space of about a quarter mile I passed three families, all walking their dogs. 
Another colorful underpass close to Woodindale.
Crossing under a highway, the I405 I think.
There is also some boat traffic on the river in the town of Bothell. 
Beautiful reflections and an enjoyable trail.
It sometimes cuts through woods and
underpasses
up to the town of Kenmore. Here I was getting tired and was looking for aan ice-cream shop. I could not find one. So, I cycled on
past Kenmore Air and my first sight of Lake Washington.
I stopped here for a good rest before I tackled the last 5 or so miles to my hotel tonight. It was going to rain and I did not feel like waking up and breaking camp in the rain.
Goodbye Lake Washington.
Hello Shoreline. 

From here it was a long uphill most of the way to the hotel. It was a great day and I enjoyed the trails so much. 
As I unhooked the trailer to take it into the room, I had my next "breath-away" moment. I saw the flat tire - my 45-mile tire. 
I repaired the puncture and shall wait until tomorrow morning to see the success of my repair. 

No comments:

Post a Comment