Monday, June 6, 2022

083: 06/0602022: Ellensburg to South Cle Elum: 30.6 miles today, 3781 in total.

Today was supposed to be an easier ride. But the headwinds picked up strongly today. I was cycling into a 10-20 mph headwind the entrie day. At some points the gusts forced me into the lowest gears. 

But, when I stopped, I was surprised at the distance done - a full 30 miles. I felt good and went to look for a bed at the Ironhorse Inn, a B&B next to the trail in South Cle Elund. 
Upon leaving Ellensburg, I cycled through the campus of the Central Washington University. This is an interesting sculpture and I hope it is not the teeth of an ancient warthog. It would have been a BBBIIIIIGGGGG one. 
True to its locatin, this irrigation canal flows through the campus.
I soon came to the West Ellensburg Trailhead and started the uphill climb along the Yakima River to the Snoqualmie Pass - the point where the Milwaukee Way crosses the Cascades. 
Look at the beauty of the surrounding countryside. I was amazed at the sudden change in vegetation. Yesterday I was id desert/semi-desrt conditions and today I see lots of water, trees and shrubs. 
I cannot show you the wind, but it was blowing straight in my face. I added layers as I cycled along.
This farmer gave up completely. Everything on the farm is falling apart - even the equipment. 
I came to this series of bridges that cross the Yakima River Valley. 
This is the main bridge over the River and
the Yakima River is flowing quite strongly.
The scenery is quite pleasing to the eye. 
At Thorp, I had to stop for a coffee. I was too cold.
I also had some dried peaches and scones with it. Here I sit inside the store and out of the wind. 
There are several very interesting sign posts along this part of the trail. This one mentions again the electrification of this section of the Milwaukee Road and
also talks of its demise. Luckily, we can use this route as a hiking and biking trail now. 
I even picked up this Shutterfly book on the Milwaukee road, published some time ago. Please note the name; "The Milwaukee Road - From Glory....to Ashes."
A tranquil spot along the trail.
And, perhaps, a view to die for??
As the Yakima River Valley narrowed, the trees increased in size and the impact of the wind grew less. I thoroughly enjoyed the next 15 miles along the river.
As you can see the river is flowing quite strongly.
The eastern portal of Tunnel #46.
The inside is in great shape.
On my way to Tunnel #47, the trail passed by these rock faces.

I had a quick snack at the Tunnel #47 Picnic Spot. I enjoyed the dried peaches of Thorp, a fresh orange from Lind and Emergen-C fortified water from Ellensburg. I felt good and strong after this stop. :):):)
The trail runs along a remote parf of the valley. There are a road and a train line on the other side of the valley, but there is almost no traffic. So, I had the whole valley for me and the birds. So peaceful.
Some flowers along the way
Beautiful tress on both sides of the trail.
I also came across a Rock Fall. This looks like what I understand from a road sign with the same wording.
Hear and there thre are openings among the trees and then you see the beauty on the other side as well. 
There are some smaller lakes along the trail as well. The water lilies would be in bloom soon.
This is an interesting warning. I looked but could not see the irrigation canal against this steep cut. I may be on top of the cut.
In some places the trees are extending well onto the trail - so beautiful. What is interesting is to see the amount of new growth on the pine/fir trees. 
The Yakima is a fast-flowing river and I was surprised to see a substantial number of dead trees in the main stream. It looks as it there was a lot of rain higher up in the catchment area.
I tried but the flags did not respond well. I wanted to take a photo where they were all blowing stiff in the wind.
About the only damp spot I passed today. There is a need for some side drain maintenance here. :):):) (Sorry, but even a retiree goes back to his old ways now and then.)
Almost too perfect to live in.
I cyced under the I-90 near Cle elum. After the paece and quiet in the Valley, the road noise was deafening. It is funny what we find acceptable.
I tried again. Please look at the shrubs and grass. The wind IS BLOWING. 
I soon reached the old Depot at Cle Elum and was quite
sad that the restaurant is closed on Mondays (today) and Tuesdays. I found out more about it and it is because there is a lack of staff that they cannot be open for longer hours. This story has repeated itself right accross the US during our cycle tour. 

Shall we not do something about all this labor shortage? Open a window for a significant number of lower educated workers to immigrate to the USA to fill these positions. Now give this thought to the politicians and half will shoot me and the other half would say, " We have been saying this all along." 

Or, shall we just accept that our performance level for acceptable service must be reduced to tie in with this pporer service?   
Anyway, I was quite cold and cycled to the Inn for a warm shower and a hot bed. Interestingly, they have converted a couple of these Cabooses into nice bedrooms, some even with hot tubs inside. 
The Inn has many photos and books on the history of the Milwaukee Way. I looked at this map and saw that my trip is almost over. Wow, such a long way from Rehoboth, Delaware, where Christine and I started.
We always see the iconic picture of the steel workers in New York having lunch on the steel framework of a high rise.
Look at this crew building bridges along the way. Who were doing a more dangerous job?

No comments:

Post a Comment