Thursday, June 9, 2022

084: 07 June 2022: Cle Elum to Cedar Falls Trailhead: 51.7 m today 3833m to date and only about 205 miles left.

Today was a wonderful day on the trail. The scenery was superior, the weather was perfect while I crossed the Cascades and dropped into the Snoqualmie River Valley.

Throughout the day, I was so aware of the fact that what God created is good. And what this means for us. And, where does this fact stop for us? God created even our enemies and shall I treat them with the same awe that I experienced today while looking at all the beauty unfold before me?

I found the two most interesting books on the Milwaukee Road at the Iron Horse Inn. I already shared one photo of the bridge erection team. I found another showing them with their crane on the bridge. These workers had no fear.
Matt Tomlinson knows how to preprare a hearty breakfast. He just smiled and said, "Don't worry, by the time you get to the long tunnel, you would have worked through at least half of it already." 
I said goodbye to the Ironhorse Inn and got a final wave from Matt.
A look at one of the converted caboozes at the Inn.
This was the view just as I cycled out of Cle Elum. Perfect day.
The trail immediately disappeared into the woods. During the day I sometimes heard the traffic on the I-90 Interstate, but mostly it was the trail and I. 
Crossing the Yakima River and
looking downstream as well.
The trees and the flowers and........
Another crossing of the Yakima River at Nelson. 
The bridge at Nelson.
Just so beautiful.
Everywhere the creeks are running with snowmelt
and the ponds/lakes are full.
I also enjoyed the views of the mountains as I cycled along.
At Easton I came across these, more modern snow ploughs.
And these guys set out to go somewhere and they did not make it. This is some fun next to the Trail at Easton Station.
It was back into the woods again immediately after leaving Easton.
This view you do not have from the road. This is from the Trail looking out over Lake Easton to the Cascades in the distance.  
Another tunnel to go through. :):):) This one was short
and gave another view over Lake Easton as you came out the other side.
The Trail is in great condition and I started seeing more and more cyclists on two- and three-day trips. 
Crossing the Yakima again. The trail has climbed a lot and the river is already much smaller. But it was running quite full with snowmelt.
This section of the trail has many gates to keep out motorised traffic. I quite enjoyed the orange poles tied to the gate posts to warn people during winter. Shows you how much snow there is on these trails then. 
I had to show my happiness when I reached the Whittier Tunnel. I am a bit red in the face from the exercise. But this section of the trail is amazing. Far away from the everyday noises and just the birds and other sounds of the forest. 
Still climbing and the mountain tops are getting nearer.
At Mosquito Creek I found several patches of snow. But these were quite soft and easy to get through.
Lake Keechelus. What beauty on top of the Cascades. 
Here the rail trail is on the opposite side of the lake from the I-90. So, you hear the traffic noise across the water, but you are on your own. A waterfall on the left, one of so many seen here. This one drowned out all other noise. :):):)
Looking back over my shoulder. The Trail follows the bank of the Lake and then follows the valley back to Easton, etc.
My photos do not show the beauty of these small waterfalls and cascades.
Another view across the Lake.
Actually, this is where I stopped for lunch. I was glued to this spot. 
Skunk Cabbage, So beautiful, but their smell, they live up to their name. :):):) 
I knew I had to move on but the views of the mountains across Lake Keechelus are stunning.
A last look at the high peaks of the Cascades from the Hyak Trailhead. You can take your bicycle here and cycle downhill either way (east for about 60 miles to Ellensburg or west for about 50 miles to the Snowqualmie Falls and then further along the river) along a great trail and through stunning scenery. 
I soon came to the east portal of the Snoqualmie Tunnel, at 2.3 miles long, the longest rail trail tunnel open for use. The Skunk Cabbage was so happy next to the trail. 
The tunnel is in great shape and runs as straight as an arrow to the western portal.  I have to, "You can see the light at the end of the tunnel." :):):)
And this is the view westwards as you leave the tunnel.
A view to the north.
And a view down the valley westwards. You immediately realise you are in a different climatic zone, the mountain is much wetter with so much more lush greenery. From here the trail follows the South Fork of the Snoqualmie River.
Trees and flowers and greenery. 
And so many cascades.
I saw my first black bear in the open spot on the right. This was a very shy bear that did not stay for a photo.
Just another extraordinary view across the valley. The I90 is somewhere below in among the trees.
This area is prone to avalanches. There were quite a number of trees dowm in this section. You can also see a rebuilt part of the avalanche protection the railway company built along this and other areas. 

Amazing views.
There are also many trestles going across side creeks. They are all in such beautiful surroundings. 
From the trestle into the forest.
Another view across the valley.
This is the Alice Creek backcountry camp site. Just beautiful.
I could not stop taking photos. The standard pocess would be, get on the bicycle, start pedalling, reach a good cruising speed, brake again for another photo. I decided that this could result in slower progress but why rush through an area this beautiful? Rather stop too many times that not enough and you blame yourself afterwards. 
Beautiful.
Another camp site along the trail. Each camp site has a picnic table and a platform for the tent. The only drawback is that these are dry camps. If you are cycling you carry minimal water and you would like to refill before you leave the next morning.
Stunning view of the Snoqualmie River below. You can see how much the trail dropped in elevation already.
But there is still snow visible on the mountains.
Another view showing the I90.
What a beautiful view of the valley from this trestle.
Then you walk to the other side of the trestle and this is the view up the side valley. I heard the river below, but could not see it because of the tree cover. 
Beautiful.
Another view towards the west.
The trail also provides access to some very popular climbing walls. I looked at these climbers for a while and decided I prefer my bicycle and boots. No need to climb up rock faces like this. 
And the trestles and, with them, the views remain superb.
Many trees have this golden brown moss growing on them. 
An abundance of yellow flowers.
Another trestle taking you to the forest.
I shall find the name of these Falls. This is the view from the trestle. 
Too soon I came to Cedar Falls, the end of the Palouse to Cascades State Park Trail. 

I shall take many days to rethink my expereince from the Idaho border to here. This trail is crossing so much beauty and so much diversity, it is not possible to remember everything clearly. I am so glad that Christine and I decided to put this blog together. It will make the rethinking so much more vivid.
This is my camp site at the Cedar Falls Trailhead
I quite like the lightweight tent that uses one pole. It rained a lot, but I was happy and dry inside. 
And this proud Elk walked by as I was going to bed. I was worried abour bears and put my trailer with all the food, etc. in one of the two bathrooms. The bearproof storage unit was still locked up. As it was, the bears did not use the bathroom during the night and I still had the trailer and my food the next morning. 

What a wonderful day and so much beauty contained in such a short section of the trail. Thanks be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment